My personal blog as a 'grown-up' Goth and Romantic living in the Highlands of Scotland. I write about the places I go, the things I see and my thoughts on life as a Goth and the subculture, and things in the broader realm of the Gothic and darkly Romantic. Sometimes I write about music I like and sometimes I review things. This blog often includes architectural photography, graveyards and other images from the darker side of life.

Goth is not just about imitating each other, it is a creative movement and subculture that grew out of post-punk and is based on seeing beauty in the dark places of the world, the expression of that in Goth rock. It looks back to the various ways throughout history in which people have confronted and explored the macabre, the dark and the taboo, and as such I'm going to post about more than the just the standards of the subculture (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, et al) and look at things by people who might not consider themselves anything to do with the subculture, but have eyes for the dark places. The Gothic should not be limited by what is already within it; inspiration comes from all places, the key is to look with open eyes, listen carefully and think with an open mind..

Friday 29 November 2013

Black Friday Outfit

I'm not American and don't really understand what "Black Friday" is, except something to do with post-Thanksgiving sales. Apparently the shops are very busy and in some places, people go a bit mad, waiting outside shops before they open, and tussling over bargains. Beyond that, I know very little. Bane at Goth It Yourself is running a blogging event (and looking VERY stylish indeed) over ::here:: in a velvet and lace outfit. 



This is my all black outfit! I'm not wearing it today, as I'm at work and it's raining. It's my second ever full Lolita co-ordinate. I wore it into town to meet with my friend M. (A sweet Lolita) and as I was going to go shopping and wander around, I decided to go with an A-line skirt with not too much pouf as I have poor spacial awareness at the best of times and I was not being entirely used to wearing a petticoat yet, and thus its added bulk, so I didn't want to knock into things with it. I also feel that A-line skirts look more mature and suit me better as I am not as young as I used to be. I know the jacket sleeves are a bit short on me (one of the disadvantages of being tall through being long-limbed). I am contemplating sewing a wide lace trim to make them seem longer.

Outfit rundown: ⚜ Head-bow - Claire's (with gold skull painted black by me) ⚜ Hair flowers - H&M and Poundland ⚜ Wig - Stargazer, "Pulp" in plume ⚜ Lace blouse - K-Star  (at Camden Market) ⚜ Jacket - Criminal Damage (at St. Nick's market, Bristol) ⚜ Skirt - Miss Posh (secondhand on eBay) ⚜ Over-the-knee Socks - offbrand ⚜ Velvet ruffle shoes - D.E. Shoes, Inverness ⚜ Lace gloves - Accessorize


8 comments:

  1. Your outfit is FABULOUS! I love the skirt -- it coordinates perfectly without being impractical. (I have knocked things off shelves with my skirt more than once.) I think the jacket sleeves look fine as they are, but a bit of lace trim would look nice, too. Thanks for joining my Black Friday event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeves originally had narrow lace trim, after 8 years of being worn a lot (including pretty much every day in college), the lace got natty, so I removed it. I'd like to replace it with something broader to give the sleeves some extra length.

      Delete
  2. You look gorgeous! I want to raid you wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you very much :)

      Well, it's a black wardrobe-space full of black clothes and black shoes with no lights - even I have trouble raiding my wardrobe! :P

      Delete
  3. Looking good as always and less of the not as young as you used to be you are a lot younger than little old me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not a teenager with slender legs that look good poking out from under a bell of a skirt, and dainty narrow waist. Don't get me wrong, I haven't become fat, but I have become curvier and more muscular, and I think the A-line skirt suits my figure more. I also think bell-shaped skirts seem more youthfull, in general, but I'm not sure why.

      Delete

Please be polite and respectful. Comments containing gratuitous swearing and insults will be deleted.