My personal blog as a 'grown-up' Goth and Romantic living in the Highlands of Scotland. I write about the places I go, the things I see and my thoughts on life as a Goth and the subculture, and things in the broader realm of the Gothic and darkly Romantic. Sometimes I write about music I like and sometimes I review things. This blog often includes architectural photography, graveyards and other images from the darker side of life.

Goth is not just about imitating each other, it is a creative movement and subculture that grew out of post-punk and is based on seeing beauty in the dark places of the world, the expression of that in Goth rock. It looks back to the various ways throughout history in which people have confronted and explored the macabre, the dark and the taboo, and as such I'm going to post about more than the just the standards of the subculture (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, et al) and look at things by people who might not consider themselves anything to do with the subculture, but have eyes for the dark places. The Gothic should not be limited by what is already within it; inspiration comes from all places, the key is to look with open eyes, listen carefully and think with an open mind..

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Green In The Gloom

I wanted to try and take some pictures to show my make-up, but all the pictures close enough to show it came out awful. Even in these, it just looks like splotches and all the details of the leaves are lost. I've actually got black and silver gilt leaves all on one side! As such I decided I would rather showcase that my hair has recently been dyed again and is now a green ombre effect, darker at the bottom. This photograph was taken in my new study, which is mostly lit with purple string lights (spiders, five-pointed stars, fiery swirls, bats...) and is purple and black with greyscale Gothic architecture wallpaper. It is not quite finished yet, but I hope to do a room tour video when it is. 

Selfies by the HouseCat


These photos have been subjected to filters and editing. I tried not to get too carried away - mostly just made things lighter and brighter and tweaked the colours a bit. Some of them have been subjected to a soft-focus effect in order to attempt looking prettier and more ghostly.. I am not good at this creative editing thing! 

Selfies by the HouseCat

The bat necklace is by Alchemy Gothic, and I think the winged skeleton pendant is too. I wish I had my selfie booth ready so I could have taken some pictures of today's outfit because it is rather Morticia Addams-esque, with a black wiggle skirt and a top with long bell sleeves, both in black velvet. The selfie booth is going to go into that recess visible behind where I'm sitting in these selfies, but as you can see currently lacks proper lighting. I first need to get the shelves above my desk sorted, and then mount lights onto those, angled into the corner... SO much to do! Thankfully Raven has put in a considerable amount of work into helping me with my study and the decorating and I am eternally grateful. 

Selfies by the HouseCat

I think these photographs are probably the worst for filter abuse, especially the one on the left! I was trying to look all spectral and 'spooky'... I probably shouldn't try so hard! I get quite self-conscious and perfectionist trying to get good selfies - I end up taking a whole load trying to get a small selection of really good ones, then end up disliking most of them, not being able to pick one that really stands out of the mainly mediocre ones that aren't blurry or really awful, and then collating them all into a collage because then they're tiny and it is harder to see the flaws. I'm torn between my vanity in trying to appear pretty (and find SOMETHING to fill my blog with in lieu of properly written content); and my lack of photographic ability. 

I don't smile much in photographs because even if I'm genuinely happy, it looks either goofy or fake (plus I have bad teeth, even after orthodontics) and then when I try to look serious, I either look angry or miserable. 

13 comments:

  1. I like the necklace. It makes me wonder how a two-piece necklace like that would work for me. I always wear a bat necklace, but the bat is much smaller than the top one pictured here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's one you like on the internet, try and find the dimensions, then draw it up on paper as a mock-up and cut it out, to see what it looks like proportionally before spending lots of money on new shinies.

      I have a small bat necklace too, but the chain broke, so I am awaiting its repair by Raven.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the advice, HouseCat.

      Delete
  2. I like these photos. Your hair is looking really nice, I love the colour right now. I find it difficult getting good selfies too, behind one good selfie is usually twenty deleted photos... hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with picking which selfie is the "best" out of all the mediocre ones...

      Delete
  3. I prefer how i look when not smiling too! You look great, very glowy! The hair is pretty epic! Jealous!

    I am always finding it hard finding decent places where I can both balance the phone to take photos AND have light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using my rather grainy webcam because there's nowhere for me to balance the phone and have light. Once I have my selfie-booth set up, I will have a proper mount for an actual camera, and dedicated selfie-booth lighting :)

      Delete
  4. Nice blog (: I can't see the make up very well from the picture, but it looks cool, and your green hair is fabulous! I would like to dye my hair too, but since I have bad hair I just keep using wigs.

    I think you look nice even if you are not smiling. I usually smile in pictures but it doesn't seem to help XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few wigs - mostly black, as I'm allergic to black dye.

      Delete
  5. Gosh you're lovely! Hair looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite and respectful. Comments containing gratuitous swearing and insults will be deleted.