My personal blog as a 'grown-up' Goth and Romantic living in the Highlands of Scotland. I write about the places I go, the things I see and my thoughts on life as a Goth and the subculture, and things in the broader realm of the Gothic and darkly Romantic. Sometimes I write about music I like and sometimes I review things. This blog often includes architectural photography, graveyards and other images from the darker side of life.

Goth is not just about imitating each other, it is a creative movement and subculture that grew out of post-punk and is based on seeing beauty in the dark places of the world, the expression of that in Goth rock. It looks back to the various ways throughout history in which people have confronted and explored the macabre, the dark and the taboo, and as such I'm going to post about more than the just the standards of the subculture (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, et al) and look at things by people who might not consider themselves anything to do with the subculture, but have eyes for the dark places. The Gothic should not be limited by what is already within it; inspiration comes from all places, the key is to look with open eyes, listen carefully and think with an open mind..

Friday 2 March 2012

11 Questions circular

How does it work?
Post the rules on your blog
Write 11 things about you
Answer it
Create 11 new questions for the future tagged ones
Put a link to the tagged blogs
No information about it in the "tag" section
Tag 11 people

11 things about me
1. I can dislocate my own jaw.
2. My eyes are naturally dark grey, those aren't contact lenses.
3. I once got impaled on a broken tree-branch.
4. My first language is actually French
5. I used to be a choir-girl and love Renaissance polyphony.
6. I can sew but I can't knit to save my life.
7. I've made a cheetah purr.
8. I collect blue glass and earthenware pottery.
9. When I was little I got stuck in a Roman pottery kiln.
10. One of my rock collections is on vinyl, the other is minerals in boxes.
11. My laptop, musical instruments and weapons all have names.


11 Questions Asked by 'Appy
1. Favourite Font (Type face)
Ooo, that's a tricky one, I have quite a few favourites, mostly based on Victorian Gothic-Revival-y stuff.
2. Which would hurt the most; been called dishonest or boring?
Dishonest. I probably am boring to some tastes.
3. Do you always carry a camera ?
Nearly. Why do you think my blog is so full of pictures of pretty buildings? I've also learnt that it is when I don't have my camera on me that interesting things happen.
4. Favourite Drink ?
Don't laugh, but rose milkshakes. Yes, they're pink and as girly as is possible, but they taste gorgeous. I like mine really cold, made with ice-cream and in a tall glass with a drinking straw.
5. Do you still keep a favourite item of clothing that will never fit you again ?
There is this copper-coloured vaguely Medieval-inspired top that did not fit me when I bought it, but I still have anyway. It is like a tent on me, but the fabric and design is so pretty. I used to wear it with a copper, red and gold scarf tied as a sash around my waist and a long rusty red velvet skirt, back when I was fairly bohemian.
6. If you thought your boss was a serial killer would you tell the police ?
Yes, not that I have a boss right now. Being unemployed is less bad than not speaking up about something like that.
7. Would you rather have a bench with plaque or a tree planted in your memory after you’ve died?
A tree, preferably an apple tree. They might not live as long as an oak or yew, but I'd like people to think of me as they chomp down on the delicious fruit, but if they were mean to me while I was alive, I hope the apple they eat has a maggot in it.
8. Favourite Flower or Plant ?
Phaeleonopsis 'Taida Salu'. It's a dappled purple-red moth orchid. As I live in an apartment, I tend to go for houseplants, mostly orchids, but I have a few succulents and a philodendron growing up a tangle of sticks.
9. What was the worst day of your life ?
Back when I was younger there were a lot of really awful days, it's hard to pick a single worst day. There was one REALLY bad week where I was hit by 3 life changing disasters in the space of a few days and understandably cracked at the end of it. I did manage to glue myself back together, though, which is the important thing. It doesn't matter how bad life gets, one must pick up the bits, dig out the glue, and get on with things.
10. Have you ever tried eating dog treats ?
No, but when I was little I ate some cat biscuits because I wanted to try the "cereal" the cat was eating.
11. Would you rather live in the city or countryside ?
It has been a nearly lifelong dream of mine to live in a quiet house in the country. Preferably one with enough land to live off, have a horse, and grow too many clematis plants up the walls, and have stacked bay windows in a rather pointless Victorian style spire. I like space, quiet and greenery.

My 11 Questions
1. What is your favourite ancient monument?
2. Have you ever climbed a mountain, if so, which one/ones?
3. Can you eat with chopsticks?
4. What is your favourite poem?
5. Would you rather have a newly discovered fish, plant or insect named after you?
6. What is your favourite fruit?
7. Do you have a favourite graveyard or cemetery? 
8. Do you know how to waltz?
9. What is the wildest colour you have dyed your hair?
10. What is the strangest thing you have seen on a bus?
11. What languages do you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and respectful. Comments containing gratuitous swearing and insults will be deleted.